ADVERTISEMENT

Spring football nuggets - April 13

Mike Craven

Publisher
Jul 5, 2001
I've been able to watch a few practices and talk to a few people about the progress thus far in the spring for UTSA and here is what I'm hearing and thinking moving forward.

QB

This is Tucker Carter's job and it always was. The only way Austin Robinson was really going to push for snaps was if Carter fell completely flat this spring and that hasn't happened. Robinson can be used this season and would be a quality backup with some upside, but he is just not ready yet. Remember that Robinson is one of, if not the, youngest players one the team still. Carter is a senior. That is a big difference from a mental standpoint.

Like I've said since Soza was still on campus, this offense has a chance to be better under Carter because Carter can push the ball downfield in a way that Soza simply couldn't. The QB spot will probably have less yards rushing this season, and probably even less attempts in the passing game, but this offense has a chance to push the ball vertically and that can help the underneath passing game and the running game.

"Tucker is going to be just fine. We've really liked what we've seen from him this spring on and off of the field. It is his team now and he seems to be accepting that role in stride. He's been waiting on this and it shows. I don't think quarterback will be as big of a question mark as everyone thinks. The tools are there, so it comes down to carrying that over to the game. If he can handle the in-game pressure, we'll be fine."

RB

I get the real feeling that David Glasco is going to be asked to carry the ball a lot this season. We may finally see UTSA give a running back closer to 20 carries a game, but I still don't think that is what Coker or Brown want in this offense. There is a real sense that depth is the key at running back and that UTSA is still searching for one more guy to step up beyond Glasco, Jarveon Williams and Brandon Armstrong. The hope was that Jalen Rhodes could be that guy, but injuries have again set him back. That puts a lot of pressure on Williams, in my opinion.

"Here's the deal, we know about David. He's been here forever. He's been counted on forever. We just need to keep him healthy. We also know about Brandon Armstrong. He is a great change-of-pace running back that is solid in pass protection and a real weapon in space. He isn't going to carry it up the middle 10 times a game, though, and he probably isn't the best around the goal line because of his size. With Evans Okotcha gone, that means Jarveon needs to be the man that gives Glasco a break. He is pretty much the next in line. He grasps that, but he really hasn't played a ton of running back. We threw him to the wolves last season and that should help him this season. We'll see, but if no one can be a reliable guy behind David then we're going to give David the ball. A lot."

WR

I've tried to pinpoint what is going on with Kam Jones, but I haven't received anything of real note. It doesn't seem like he is that hurt or anything from the people I've talked to and he isn't in the doghouse from what I've heard. His quiet spring may just be the result of the staff knowing what they have in Kam. Marquis Mosley has a lot of bodies to look at and it seems like Kam isn't viewed as a guy that still needs a ton of reps, especially if he is a bit nicked up.

Brandon Freeman has been the best WR on campus. Period. He may emerge as the number one threat down the field for UTSA and he and Carter have had instant chemistry. In fact, the wide receivers haven't had that much trouble building that on the field chemistry with Carter because UTSA has used all receivers on the first and second-team in years past and that has given Carter time to work with the receivers he'll need to be in sync with this season.

Marcellus Mack is a guy that has turned some heads, but he still has some consistency issues. Same with Kenny Bias, Kenny Harrison and Earon Holmes.

"We just need to be consistent on the outside. We have plenty of bodies and talent. If we do the little things right outside, which we will, that group will be fine. Kam will be just fine. Brandon has been so impressive. We're still waiting on one or two more guys to really grab our attention with consistency, but we like that position unit. It is a physical group that likes to block. They used to pick on our secondary but that isn't as much the case anymore and it has made both units more intense. That should help us moving forward. I don't think we've taken a step back at wide receiver, but I do think it sometimes looks like it because the offense used to be able to pick on the secondary. That wasn't because of Eric or anything, it was because we were bad in the back half of our defense. It is a fair fight these days."

TE

I can't figure this group out to save my life. Having David Morgan out has probably stunted this group's presence this spring, but it has been pretty quiet (during open time at least) for guys like Cole Hubble and Trevor Stevens. I think Stevens has a lot of ability and Hubble is obviously a guy that has been a major part of the offense for a few years. This spot could become a safety net for Carter, but the concentration on the underneath passing game really limits the space that the UTSA tight ends have to work. It'll be interesting to see if Cameron Oliver can come in and push for some snaps because it does feel like a position that is missing something. If (big if) David Morgan can ever become a consistent contributor by staying healthy this unit becomes a major strength. The group is excellent in blocking and on fundamentals, though. That goes largely unnoticed because we all like to look at stats, but this is a meat and potatoes position for the Roadrunners right now.

OL

It has been a weird spring for the offensive line because the front-line guys have been great while the second-team group has had a lot of struggles. That should probably be expected with such a gap in experience from the starters to the backups.

"We're probably more comfortable at offensive line than we are anywhere else on the team. We know what we have there so it is just about building the depth. It is unfair to the young guys because the second-team defensive line is as good as our first-team defensive line. Those guys on the defense can switch in and out without much drop off. I mean, seriously, how much easier is it to block Jason Neill than it is Robert Singletary? Probably not much if at all. We're seeing flashes, but offensive linemen take longer to come along than skill position players."

DL

Studs. There really isn't anything new or groundbreaking here. UTSA loves the two-deep along the defensive line and the defensive ends and tackles should be the strength of this defense.

"We're always going to find things that we're doing wrong, but this group has a chance to be really, really good this year. Neill has been an absolute stud. I think we forgot how good he was. Adding him is like getting in a new recruit for the spring. He has raised the play of every player at the position because it just got harder to get on the field. We like to play a lot of guys and we'll be able to do that this year if we stay healthy. It should help us in the second and fourth quarters, especially against those teams that run a lot of plays."

LB

Drew Douglas and Jens Jeters have solidified starting jobs. The most interesting development at this position is the emergence of young guys like Tank O'Neil and Marcus Curry.

"Drew and Jens will play most of the snaps. It is hard to replace a player like Steven Kurfehs but Jens will be just fine. He came in ready to play last year and is hungry to be the man this year. He's a natural leader and his teammates love him. He has a lot of confidence and we like that. Drew has improved every day he has been on campus and I mean that as a huge compliment. I watch him and remember what he looked like when he first got here and I just smile. He's becoming a really good 4-2-5 Mike and that is a tough position to play in this defense because it isn't a tradition role for a Mike like it would be in the 4-3. He has a lot of responsibilities and he really embraces being the quarterback of the front-seven on defense. He identified his weaknesses and isn't running away from them. He wants to be an every down linebacker and he is getting better at the things that would prevent him from doing so."

Got some thoughts on the redshirt freshmen at the position.

"I know you're a Curry guy but Tank is going to be a player. I think Marcus will too but Tank is probably a little more ready right now. Both should contribute at least on special teams. Tank just has a natural feel for the linebacker position and that is most apparent when we do 11-on-11. He can struggle some during individual stuff, but he turns it on during team drills and that is what football is anyway. He needs to work on some technique stuff. Marcus just wants it so bad and that will pay off for him. He's a little in between positions right now, but he'll be a player for us. He'll probably be the guy that gets the first look at Hawk after Jens graduates."

S

Free safety is set with Triston Wade and Tevin Broussard. I keep hearing almost sadness when talking about Broussard because he is probably one of the three best safeties on the team. He just plays behind the best safety on the team and will probably struggle to gain snaps. It doesn't sound like him getting looks at Rover is an option. Speaking of Rover, I got nothing but good reviews on the progress of Chase Dahlquist. It is unfortunate, but Brian King being out is probably the best thing that could have happened to Dahlquist. He's been getting a lot of work and it is speeding up his learning curve. I still contend that this defense will struggle unless Rover is figured out and Dahlquist has the best shot to be that guy if he can stay disciplined in coverage and continue to catch up to the speed of the college game.

Dawg is another position that no one seems to be worried about. Nic Johnston and Michael Egwuagu may be the best two-deep on the team.

CB

For the first time since he has been on campus, Trevor Baker was mentioned to me as a guy that was standing out. The top-three corners are still Bennett Okotcha, Crosby Adams and Darrien Starling. Okotcha probably won't come off of the field much. Aneas Henricks and Nkeal Bailey have shown a lot of good and some bad, which should be expected from young cornerbacks. Fred Blow is another guy that has been given some positive attention. I haven't heard much about Kevin Adams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News