ADVERTISEMENT

Interview: Jeff Popovich

Mike Craven

Publisher
Jul 5, 2001
At the National Signing Day event I talked to cornerback coach Jeff Popovich.

Q: At cornerback you lost three guys that had played a lot of snaps for UTSA. How important was it to find some guys that can come in and push for two-deep spots and push the players in front of them on the depth chart?

A: It was extremely important to find some guys that have the athleticism to come in and play because we have five in the room right now and we'll bring in some more in this signing class, so the room isn't big right now so there are certainly opportunities to play. It is important to get guys in there because we need depth and guys will get dinged up. If you're going to play man-to-man and with three or four corners on the field you need that depth and talent there. Bennett Okotcha has been a two-year starter for us and then Trevor Baker played probably about a quarter of a game the last third of the season, so he has experience, too, but has never been thrown out there in an every-down situation and then you have some young guys so it was important to find some new talent to come in and compete for job and potentially play.

Q: Is this a make-or-break spring and fall for some of the younger guys that have been on campus for a few years but have yet to crack the starting rotation? Does it start to set in that if it doesn't happen now then they'll get passed up by the new guys coming in to compete for spots?

A: From a coach's standpoint there is never really a make-or-break because you're not going to give up on a kid or stop coaching them. I've seen kids their senior year come out of nowhere and win games for you, so you never stop coaching those kids up and keeping them ready to play. But from a player's perspective, you look around and a sense of urgency does set in, at least I hope it sets in. There needs to be a sense of urgency for guys like Aneas (Henricks), N'keal (Bailey) and even Stanley (Dye) because as they look around and see these players that we're bringing in they're going to know that they're talented kids.

Q: JaColbie Butler was a guy that really impressed you at camp. What do you see from him as a corner since he has no experience playing there?

A: I think he is going to be a guy with really good quickness of feet and hips. The thing is I have a pretty open slate for him, but I see his great speed and great change of direction. He should be able to cover some guys. Is that going to happen day one? Obviously not, he'll need some time to adjust and figure it all out and get coached and rep it. He has a phenomenal attitude and approach, though. He's already been talking to me about drills and how to improve and footwork and technique and all that stuff. How quickly he'll develop and what he'll become obviously no one knows, but I have high hopes that he'll come in here and compete and hopefully earn some snaps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News