ADVERTISEMENT

PRESS RELEASE UT System Board of Regents approves contract extension for Athletic Director Lisa Campos through 2026

Javi C

Publisher
Staff
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio, TX
SAN ANTONIO (Aug. 19, 2021) — The University of Texas System Board of Regents today approved a contract extension for UTSA Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Lisa Campos through November 2026, a reflection of her impact on advancing the university’s athletics programs and alignment with UTSA’s academic strategies as an exemplary urban serving institution.

During her nearly four years at the helm of UTSA Athletics, Campos has been instrumental in developing and implementing a strategic plan built on a culture of excellence for student-athletes and generating community support for the university.

“I deeply appreciate the acumen and leadership that Dr. Campos has brought to UTSA. Her support of student-athletes and their academic success, her focus on Athletics operations and budget growth, and the work she has done with C-USA and the NCAA speak to her deep commitment,” said UTSA President Taylor Eighmy. Likewise, Dr. Campos’ recruiting of stellar coaches, her efforts to keep student-athletes safe and competing during the pandemic, and the work she led to implement the Tracy Rule on Misconduct in the NCAA, reflect the passion she brings to advancing our athletics program, the front porch to the university for our community.”

The contract extension approved by regents includes a base salary of $475,000 for the first year with a $25,000 increase for each of the remaining four years.

“I am deeply grateful to Dr. Eighmy and the UT System Board of Regents for their support of our work to make UTSA Athletics one of the nation’s elite programs,” said Campos. “This bold effort aligns with UTSA’s vision for being a community-engaged university in academics, research and athletics.”

Under her leadership, in the last three years UTSA student-athletes have set numerous department records for academic success including achieving an 83% graduation success rate in the most recent report and currently boasting an average team GPA of 3.27. Additionally, student-athletes have collected 145 Conference USA academic medals and more than 600 C-USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll certificates since 2017.

Campos has overseen the implementation of the Roadrunner Leadership and Professional Development Academy, which offers personal wellness, freshman transition and career development workshops to UTSA’s 350-plus student-athletes. She also introduced UTSA Athletics Diversity & Inclusion Excellence, an initiative that seeks to foster a diverse and inclusive culture for the entire campus.

This summer, Campos helped UTSA become one of the first Conference USA institutions to introduce an educational and life skills program in anticipation of NCAA and state legislation related to name, image and likeness (NIL) activities. Runners Go Bold is a comprehensive program providing Roadrunner student-athletes with the knowledge and skills to build their personal brands and financial acumen.

During Campos’ tenure at UTSA, she has made several impactful hires including head football coach Jeff Traylor, who has energized the program and the community. Most recently, she recruited former Texas coach Karen Aston to take the reins of the UTSA women’s basketball program.

Campos also worked closely with the Roadrunner Foundation and colleagues on campus to guide one of the most ambitious projects in the history of UTSA Athletics — the development of the new state-of-the-art Roadrunner Athletics Center of Excellence, which opened this month. The $40.8 million, 94,700-square-foot facility serves as the central hub for UTSA Athletics and promotes the academic success, health, wellness and performance of student-athletes.

Nationally, Campos currently sits on the NCAA Division I Council, a high-level group responsible for the day-to-day decisions that impact Division I athletics. She also serves as chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee and on the board of the LEAD1 Association, a membership organization that represents the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision athletics directors.

-UTSA-

Congrats to her! She got Race done and made what looks to be a great hire with Traylor. Now it's time to get the olympic sports up to snuff. Across the board every single sport needs to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT